CBD and Chronic Pain
Millions of Americans rely on pain medication to deal with the chronic pain in their lives, despite the unsafe side effects caused by long term use. No wonder CBD has become a popular new alternative that is showing a lot of promise for injury related pain, arthritis and other types of chronic pain. Last month we touched on what CBD is and its many benefits. Among them is pain relief. Let’s take a closer look.
It’s all about the endocannabinoid system which we knew very little about until medical research began to uncover how CBD works in our body.
What Is the Endocannabinoid System?
“Cannabinoid” comes from “cannabis,” and “endo” is short for “endogenous,” which means that it is produced naturally inside of our bodies. So “endocannabinoid” simply means cannabis-like substances that naturally occur inside us. The Endocannabinoid System — is a signaling system laced throughout the central and peripheral nervous system made up of three parts:
- Receptors in the nervous system and around your body that endocannabinoids and cannabinoids bond with
- Enzymes that help break down endocannabinoids and cannabinoids
As medical science has learned more about the ECS, it has also discovered several conditions that appear to be related to dysregulation of the system including pain.
Simply put — CBD activates nervous system receptors that in turn activate many of the endocannabinoid system’s pathways that can potentially ease pain.
The Benefits of Using CBD for Pain Management
- It doesn’t cause the same dependency that you get from using pharmaceutical pain medication.
- Works to relax muscles and improves mobility.
- Decreases Pain Hypersensitivity caused by endocannabinoid dysfunction.
- Helps alleviate sleep disturbances caused by chronic pain.
- Can trigger the release of serotonin and other “happy” chemicals in the body and numbs down brain receptors that contribute to lowly feelings of depression in those with chronic pain.
- Non-Psychotropic and stabilizes cognitive and neurological functions.
- Highly versatile and fits well into any medical regimen as it can be used topically or ingested.
CONTACT US today and let us help you find the best options for easing your pain.